Audio control for residential Halloween installation

I’m looking to do audio control of several voices (maybe 12) and I need to output those to different audio outputs at different times, occasionally overlapping or even mixing together to the same output.
I need these to output via triggers.
My understanding was that I could use the Tsunami Super Wave 25 Voice to do this, but I’m having a little trouble finding information on how to map outputs programmatically.
Any assist on where I can start would be awesome.
Thanks!

Check out https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/e/9/9/8/e/Tsunami_UserGuide_20230114.pdf and Tsunami Super WAV Trigger Hookup Guide - SparkFun Learn

Note that there are 8 audio output channels so if you need more you might have to get more than one tsunami (or combine channels where applicable)

Thanks for the help. That cleared it up a little bit.

I was under the impression from the specs that I didn’t need anything further to get where I was headed, but I am starting to believe I may need another board/controller…
I thought maybe the robertsonics configurator would allow us to run code, but it doesn’t seem to.

Can you help me confirm this?

For starters, I’m not looking for straight trigger-to-file-events. That’s too basic for my project.

I’m likely to need to do something in python or similar so that I can have something like this happen, as an example:
On close trigger 1, start a sequence by starring to play file A (12seconds long file) from output 3 and 4 but after 4 seconds mix in file B (4 seconds long) to those same outputs. Then after maybe 20 seconds, perform a difference series of file plays, outputs, and delays (with volume settings etc.).

I only need about 4 triggers, but I will need 40-60 lines of instructions for each, resembling the code needed for the above examples.

So if you can help me with just the understanding of that I have the right hardware to start with, or if I need something more, then I can get that together and set up a test bench and start learning what I need to do properly.

I do have assistance from more experienced coders in python and with Pis and such, though we’re all newbs in this area. We’re multi-decade coders by trade, but in web software, so there is a little crossover.

So any help we could get here would be awesome.
Thanks!

Hiya - it’s been 2 weeks. Is there anyone who can pitch in here? I’m at a dead end here…

You have a lot of options…most any MCU that xan run python would work, as long as you don’t need polyphony. I was going to suggest maybe using a Pi 4 or 5 and having it run whatever python you need (you would write some basic code that takes inputs/triggers from GPIO pins and have them perform whatever function) and then you can send audio over its I2S port (google how to enable, its just one command) easily using something like Raspberry Pi IQAudio DAC+ - DEV-17738 - SparkFun Electronics (we are out of stock right now)

We also have non-pi options Audio Boards - SparkFun Electronics that aren’t as ‘plug and play’ but would also work fine…it just really depends on what you’re after, budget, features, etc…click on features tab for any product to see its details, and/or its hookup guide to see how it might be used in a project

Hiya,

Thanks for the assist, but some time has passed. I didn’t realize some details were not already in there…

I have picked up a 25 voice Tsunami Qwiic super wave board from you, since.

When reading, I kinda thought I would not need another processor to program things like polyphony and output mapping kinds of automation. It seems like maybe I do, and am looking at the Uno R4 for that.

Polyphony is a must as I’m trying to send sets of files, in varying order and timings, out all 4 stereo outputs simultaneously to different areas of my property, all based on a variety of triggers / schedules, etc.

If I’m on the right track, I’m all set. I just didn’t know if I was misunderstanding something, as I had originally thought I didn’t need yet another processor for programming, such as with python.
The listing says there are full python libraries available for it, so that makes people think they can be used internally without another brain.

Any track can be dynamically routed to any output. And each output provides independent real-time volume and sample-rate conversion (pitch bend). For your convenience, the Tsunami also has full Arduino and Python libraries available which can be found in the Documents tab above!

It’s not super clear that the paragraph above only means that it’s for control from an external source, so I misunderstood, I think. It’s beginning to make some sense now.

Does it feel like I’m on the right track anyway? :slight_smile:

Much appreciated.

1 Like

Yep - and yes, the R4 can run python…so you should be all set! Be sure to go through the links up above after getting the R4 up & goin

Nope, the configurator just writes configuration files for you. It makes it easier to generate config files by choosing options in the configurator. You still need another controller running code that triggers your sounds at the appropriate time. Multiple sounds can play at the same time.

1 Like