Basic DMX LED Shield and ESP32 Thing Plus questions

I’ve got some basic questions about the ESP32 and DMX LED shield.

I’m working on a project where I want to use DMX to control some WS2812B addressable LED strips.

The DMX LED shield description mentions APA102 LED strips. Will it also control WS2812B strips or do I need to get some new LED strips?

Also, when it comes to the SparkFun Thing Plus - ESP32 WROOM, I’m trying to figure out if I need the Micro-B or U.FL versions. Is the only difference that the U.FL version adds the U.FL connection? I don’t anticipate using that, but who knows. They’re the same price, so I’m just wondering if U.FL version lacks something the Micro-B has.

Thanks!

The DMX LED shield designed for APA102 will not directly control WS2812B strips. You need either a different DMX controller that supports WS2812B or an intermediate microcontroller to translate DMX to WS2812B.

Thanks that’s helpful. For the ESP32 Thing Plus, it looks like the DMX shield uses all the pins on the Thing Plus. If I need to add something like a microphone or audio line input, are there extra pins that aren’t used by the DMX shield? Or is there some other way of expanding the Thing Plus?

I guess a more basic question is, can the SparkFun ESP32 Thing Plus receive audio input from a mic or line input via like a standard Arduino?

If so, does the DMX shield interfere with this in any way (like by using up all the available inputs)?