Error loading bootloader onto Sparkfun Redboard using Pocket AVR Programmer

Hi

I am quite new to arduinos so please excuse me if I am being stupid.

I messed up my Redboard a while back by clicking random buttons in the IDE, and I think I killed the bootloader. For the last week I have been trying to get a bootloader burned back on to the Redboard, with no luck.

At first I was using my genuine Leonardo as an ISP, but did not get anywhere. Today my Pocket AVR arrived, and I’m still not winning.

I have tried too many forum posts, driver packages, etc to list here, and I am now so confused I don’t even know where to start. I am hoping some of the details in this error message means something to someone here that can point me In the right direction.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cusbtiny -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbtiny
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f
         AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : USBtiny
         Description     : USBtiny simple USB programmer, https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp
avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude: Using SCK period of 10 usec
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Error while burning bootloader.

Are you using the ICSP pins on the board with the Pocket AVR? The pocket AVR should be set to supply 5V power and when you plug it in the power light on the redboard should light up. I had one terrible problem recently with my Pocket AVR not working and it turns out that the cause was using a USB3.0 port, once I moved the programmer to a 2x USB port it worked like a charm. The error message I got looked like what you are seeing.

Also, what programmer did you specify in the Arduino IDE?

Hi, yes I am using it with the supplied cable. 10 point connector on the programmer side, 6 point on the Redboard side. The redboard’s power does come on, and the programmer is supplying power.

I have tried other USB ports with no luck, not even sure if my machine still has USB2 ports to be honest.

I am using “Arduino Uno”, but have tried others as well with no luck

I’ve tried uploading a pic of my connection, but that seems to break as well… aaaaaaaargh

In the Arduino IDE you should specify “Tools → Programmer → USBasp” and then “Burn Bootloader” for the “Arduino UNO”. Is that what you have done?

Yes I have “Arduino Uno” selected as board

No, I’ve mostly been trying with “USBtinyISP” selected as programmer, so I haven’t tried with “USBasp” yet, but when I do, I get this

C:\Users\fritz\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\fritz\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cusbasp -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\fritz\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp'

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Error while burning bootloader.

That was my error, evidently your “USBtinyISP” was the correct programming device to choose. I have had good luck in programming one Arduino from another, and some of the programs from Nick Gammon are very helpful.

I would ask you to follow the instructions at http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11633 and if you can’t get the device signature using that method then your Sparkfun Redboard might indeed be bricked.

Great, thanks, I haven’t seen that article yet. Will try it tonight and get back to you