ESP32-S2 Thing Plus

Using Windows 10 and USB-C cable(C cable connected to C port on motherboard of PC, not any C to A adapters, direct C-type USB cable connection).

Arduino IDE V2.2.1

Able to connect to and flash the board all worked great.

Connected an MCP9600 to it via Qwiic cable and a K-Type thermocouple to it, everything worked great.

Then I soldered header pins to all the through-hole’s and snapped it into a breadboard, connected USB and

the unit booted up and was sending data out the serial giving the temps from the MCP9600.

I then attempted to upload a new sketch and I get the following:

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32-S2: No serial data received.

Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 2

I looked closely at all the header pins where I soldered them and cannot see anything abnormal, none of them soldered to anything else next to them, etc.

The board was running the sketch reading and displaying the temps from the MCP9600 and attached thermocouple with no issue, the problem started when I tried to upload a new sketch, which fails with the message above, and now I get no serial output from the board, I do not know if the old sketch is still running in it, the board connects on COM8, just not getting serial output from it.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

A little more info…

I wasn’t sure after the failed attempt to upload a new sketch if the board was still running the previous sketch.

I reconnected the MCP9600 and the sketch that loops over reading the temps is running and outputting on serial

but when I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, the board is not sending out the bootup messages like it was previously, it just goes straight to the loop section of the sketch and reads the MCP9600 and outputs the temps to serial.

Okay, if I hold the 0 button and RST button then release the RST button, the board is not running my sketch, still no serial output, but I was able to get a different sketch uploaded but the programmer did not get the hard reset done, I had to then press the RST button to get the board to start running the new sketch.

Still no boot up debug messages or messages from the setup section of the sketch, only serial output after the sketch loop section is running.

Wondering why simply soldering header pins to the holes would cause this.