Home (or office) Automation

I have searched the forums… at least a few of them. I see nothing on this topic.

I am looking for a wi-fi connected switch that is small enough to hide in a table top display such as one you might see this time of year for Christmas.

The switch would be battery powered for battery powered lights. This would required some kind of modification to the light set, but that would most likely not be a big deal.

The key is the power consumption for the switch. It would have to be minimal. Perhaps a device that would phone home on a regular basis to see if any outstanding commands are waiting. It would connect and send an identifier of some sort and the web server would look for commands that were still outstanding, for example “turn switch off”.

It may be wishful thinking, but my wife would really appreciate someone giving me some good advice to get this going as we have been buying a lot of batteries for Christmas lights where no A/C outlets are available.

There’s plenty of these available that plug into an outlet, but I’ve not seen one yet that runs on batteries.

You’re probably going to have to build one out of something like a ESP8266 module but you’d need to write some custom code to get it working and keep the power drain low.

Unfortunately we don’t offer anything ready made but it sounds like a good product idea for the future.