How do I measure velocity with the Pulsed Coherent Radar Sensor XM125 module?

According to the datasheet the XM125 provides velocity as output. I have obtained the parts and set a sensor up as described in:

Can anyone tell me how to get hold of the velocity value as its never discussed? All I can find on the senor are these basic examples and nothing that tells me what other functions are available in the IDE or how to use them. Any help will be welcome.

What part of the datasheet are you seeing this in? I searched for velocity and output and only got 1 GPIO result for output…

You may need to use the Acconeer explorer for some functions

You are quite right, when I look at the actual Datasheet, and the Acconeer explorer, no mention is made of speed or velocity. I have been mislead by the statement " … ability to do more than measure distance; the XM125 can differentiate between stationary objects and moving targets using pulsed coherent radar. This means you can sense an object’s presence and how fast something is moving!" from sales puff on:
SparkFun Pulsed Coherent Radar Sensor - Acconeer XM125 (Qwiic) - SEN-24540 - SparkFun Electronics

The more time have spent looking at these sensors (other makes sometimes make reference velocity as well) I don’t think they can. In practice they all seem to be optimised to detect people or for specific applications like sensing breathing.

1 Like

It’s not technically a lie. You can use the difference in distance and the time to calculate the velocity.

right…you can post-process the output and determine velocity if you calibrate it for your code…

Yep you could. Using that method a tap measure is also a speedometer. Looks like a need to find a different solution.