How to power Sparkfun OpenScale

Hey, I’m building a scale and I’ve gotten the sparkfun openscale. I know it can be powered by the USB but with the project I’m working on I’d need to to be powered on battery.

I saw on this tutorial that It could be “powered externally with a regulated 5V” but I don’t see anywhere you would put power in. I’m also struggling to find a 5V battery and was wondering if I should Use a 9V battery with a 7805 voltage regulator instead.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/op … -guide/all

Thank you, any help appreciated.

With the a nice regulated input, you could use any of a lot of types of batteries. Automotive lighter chargers, 6 or 12 volt sealed lead acid, pair of lithium cells, disposable alkalines, etc. Determine your main limitation: size/weight, long life, cost, rechargeable and narrow the field. A 9 volt PP3-type could work, briefly, but doesn’t have much capacity/life.

To get the project prototyped, can you use a regular USB power bank for now?

You can power it from the USB connector or any of the +5V connections (one in TEMP connector, one in Serial Out connector, one on ISP connector).

So those 5V pins are not outputs? And I can use any battery as long as it is regulated down to 5V. Thank you