I need to capture bursts of serial binary bit-stream - that arrives at 1.5 meg bits/second

The binary bit stream arrives on one pin on a circuit board and a synchronous clock arrives on

another pin. I don’t need to store the clock - it’s just there in case I need to use it

during the capture.

The length of each burst can be anywhere from 1200 to 60,000 binary bits - depending on how

much data I request each time. I want to capture the simple stream of binary 1’s and 0’s, then

store it, probably broken up into 8-bit bytes and request another burst, so I have plenty of time to do

the actual storing of the data on a medium, SD card, hard drive etc. because no more data will

arrive until I ask for it. As I said, I have the option to request shorter bursts, as short as

1200 bits in a burst, but in all cases the arrival rate of the bit stream is 1.5 meg

bits/second.

I’ve looked at the specs online of several digital storage oscilloscopes but they sample and

store csv voltage values, which is useless. I simply want to store the 1’s and 0’s that arrive

during the burst.

Does anyone know of a data capture device that do this? This is a one-shot data capture, where

I’m rescuing/recovering data from a device, 5 meg bytes in total and once I have it captured

the job is over.

I’ve looked at a few SDI port-to-SD card devices here on Sparkfun but they don’t seem

to fit the requirement because of the high bit rate of the data bursts that I’ll be receiving. Perhaps there is one that does but I haven’t discovered one yet that

looks capable of doing this job.

Many thanks to all who take the time to read this and give me pointers.

What’s the source of the data? You’ve gone out of your way to remain furtive but it’s important. Capturing a ROM dump from a legacy device is different from sniffing SCADA data off of transmitter coax is different from uploading raw echolocation DAC files from a remote cave during bat research. Serial and binary and sort of fast, yes, but that describes most digital communications like USB and CANBUS and MIDI.

A logic analyzer would be able to do this. Sparkfun carries a bargain basement logic analyzer but I wouldn’t recommend that for an application like yours. You would need something like an analog discovery 2 at a minimum but I can’t say for sure if that has the horsepower you need for your volume and speed of data.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13929

The more capable (expensive) DSOs should also be able to capture, decode and log your data if you have access to a “big boy” oscilloscope.