"I2C error" coming up constantly in Arduino IDE

I’ve been doing research with the Redboard connected to a qwicc shield, in turn connected to an AS7263 sensor using Arduino code. There’s been a problem getting any results back from the AS7263, and I was wondering if you could help. The code I’ve implemented is verified in Arduino IDE and gets uploaded to the sensor, but the serial monitor output shows “I2C error” constantly. I’ve changed the wires connecting the AS7263 to the qwicc shield we’ve connected to the redboard, and that didn’t change anything. The problem is most likely a contact issue with the I2C port itself, but I was wondering if there was anything else I should try before replacing the I2C ports or getting a new qwicc shield. I can send the code as well if that helps.

Share a few photos of your wiring/setup

Any help is appreciated.

indeed as you proposed, also share the code.

If wiggling the I2C connectors does not increase the error rate, it is more likely a communications error. In that case, try lowering the values of the pullup resistors on SDA and SCL, perhaps to 2.2K each, and/or lowering the I2C clock speed.

I2C was designed for communications between ICs on a single PCB, and wired connections more than a few cm long can be problematic. Especially if wires are tightly twisted, as shown in the photo, which increases the capacitance between them.

Are the headers soldered to the I2C shield?

We ended up soldering the qwicc shield to the redboard and that fixed the problem. At first we thought we didn’t need to solder anything but that was our solution.