Insight into vibration meters

I am looking to create my own vibration meter because I can’t find anything specifically made the way I want it. I have the mechanical capability to build it, I just lack the lingo and advanced understanding to describe or locate the components I need. My intent is to build a vibration meter that uses a piezo contact mic that is tunable in order to refine the frequency I’m trying to pinpoint over both short and long distances (like +/- 500ft). I would like the frequency readings to be audible via headphones and visual via a graph on a touchscreen. I intend to machine all the component housings myself. The vibration signal will be created by a thumper box (purchased elsewhere) and secured to a pipe, I will be tracing the pipe (which will be underground) with the meter via direct contact to concrete or asphalt as well as using a probe attachment to penetrate soil. Any help in creating a build list would be awesome, thanks.

Thank you for your insight, that definitely helps me with a jump off point. I will start looking into these components.

I think the term you’re looking for is locating which is identifying, labeling, documenting, etc hidden infrastructure. Pipe thumpers and acoustic devices for pipe locating are well established commercial products. Read up on those to get caught up on industry terminology and perhaps also some insights into what does and doesn’t work.