MCP9600 in Fahrenheit bug?

Hello,

I’m new to Arduino and my first project is a thermocouple using MCP9600 QWIIC board with an Artemis Nano.

Using the basic readings example from the Sparkfun library I got it working. I wanted the readings to be in Fahrenheit. It took some digging to figure out how to do it because its not clear from the comments and documentation for the example or the library. Once I figured out that I had to set the function to “false” it worked… Kinda.

When I use this code the readings are accurate and in Fahrenheit, but the getTempDelta function reading is off by 32 degrees.

void loop(){ //print the thermocouple, ambient and delta temperatures every 200ms if available

if(tempSensor.available()){

Serial.print("Thermocouple: ");

Serial.print(tempSensor.getThermocoupleTemp(false));

Serial.print(" °F Ambient: ");

Serial.print(tempSensor.getAmbientTemp(false));

Serial.print(" °F Temperature Delta: ");

Serial.print(tempSensor.getTempDelta(false));

Serial.print(" °F");

Serial.println();

delay(20); //don’t hammer too hard on the I2C bus

}

}

I added this to get it to work.

void loop(){ //print the thermocouple, ambient and delta temperatures every 200ms if available

if(tempSensor.available()){

Serial.print("Thermocouple: ");

Serial.print(tempSensor.getThermocoupleTemp(false));

Serial.print(" °F Ambient: ");

Serial.print(tempSensor.getAmbientTemp(false));

Serial.print(" °F Temperature Delta: ");

Serial.print(tempSensor.getTempDelta(false) -32 );

Serial.print(" °F");

Serial.println();

delay(20); //don’t hammer too hard on the I2C bus

}

}

That gives accurate readings for all 3 functions, but I’m puzzled why that is? Is this a bug in the library or am I overlooking something?

Thanks!

Hello 9ete,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having inaccurate readings on your SparkX Qwiic Thermocouple Amplifier. Unfortunately, we provide limited support for SparkX products. This is still a great post for the community.

In the meantime, I would suggest filing a [GitHub Issue. This way the engineer will be notified and they’ll get to it as soon as they are able to.](Issues · sparkfun/SparkFun_MCP9600_Arduino_Library · GitHub)