Multiplexing/Demultiplexing 9V

I am interested in a design that multplexes four 7-segment displays. The problem is that Vf is 7.2V (typ) to 9.2V (max) on a common-anode display. Now, multiplexing the segments is easy: I just ground each pin through a resistor, job done. The more complex on is multiplexing the anodes. It appears that the 74HC4051 might do the job by putting 9V on Z and taking the anodes off Y0…Y3. But this is going to be driven by a 3V processor chip, and it does not look possible to switch 9V. What do you have that will let me uses these 7-segment LEDs (I have a stack of them in my “junk box”, so switching to common-cathode is not an option). I would rather not use discrete MOSFETs as that would require 25 discrete MOSFETs (21 segments and 4 anode drivers). Max current is ~30mA/segment, and my plan is to multiplex each segment within each digit. This may involve a somewhat heavier peak current load to maintain the apparent brightness up to the max rating of 155mA/segment. The last time I designed a 7-segment display multiplexer, it was implemented in 7400 logic. Not 74LS00 logic. And it was simpler, because Vf was < 5V. It’s been a while. Like 40 years a while.

Look at the TPIC6B595 http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpic6b595.pdf

/mike

Mike’s right, the TPIC6B595 is what you want. :slight_smile:

We are out of stock on the [bare IC but have a breakout with the SMD version [here.

If you can find the bare IC in stock somewhere, that would save you a few bucks and it’s breadboard-able.](SparkFun Large Digit Driver - WIG-13279 - SparkFun Electronics)](Shift Register 8-Bit High-Power - TPIC6B595 - COM-00734 - SparkFun Electronics)