Planning to build an RTK rover for 3D scanning.....help?

Hi, I just have a few questions and I’m hoping I can get some answers here. Disclaimer: I’m a newbie in this field so please bear with me :sweat_smile:

1. What would be the best components to put together to be able to build an RTK rover that we can connect to a smartphone and use for 3D scanning?

2. If we were to create our own 3D scanning app, how difficult is it to integrate the positioning data from the RTK rover with the 3D scans captured by the mobile scanning app?

3. Would you know any 3D scanning mobile apps that are available and able to integrate the RTK positioning data?

Thanks!

Hey samruru,

No worries, everyone is a newbie at some point! One thing I would suggest is that you build a list specific constraints:

How fast will this device travel? How good to you need the accuracy to be? How are you going to get RTK corrections to the device? Do you want to hook it into an existing system? Do you want something that works out of the box? Having a list like this will help you narrow down on which device to use.

We have a lot of content that can help you learn more about this subject, and maybe give you some ideas to get you started!

https://www.sparkfun.com/news/tags/rtk

1) What would be the best components to put together to be able to build an RTK rover that we can connect to a smartphone and use for 3D scanning?

This depends on what you mean by 3D scanning, and how much design and customization you want to do. RTK is most often used for surveying type work, to mark out a list of very accurate GPS coordinates. I’m guessing from your question that you want to build a surface map of some terrain, basically attach a GPS to an RC car, run it over an area and create a map? We have a line of “finished goods” type RTK products, which are already engineered and programmed and ready for use; this would be the fastest way to get up and running in grabbing GPS data. If you are interested in modifying how it works, integrating it electronically with other devices, etc, we also offer the breakout boards.

Here are all of our RTK products: https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/tags/rtk

An important thing to consider in selecting a device is how to get the RTK corrections to it. RTK for a mobile GPS receiver (called a “Rover” in GNSS parlance) requires giving the receiver constant corrections so it can get a precise fix on its location. For example, the [RTK Express would require either a Wifi connection to an NTRIP Caster, or for you to have an app on your phone that connects to an NTRIP Caster and sends the corrections to the device via Bluetooth. On the other hand, the [RTK Facet L-Band can receive corrections via satellite, so it doesn’t require internet access.

2) If we were to create our own 3D scanning app, how difficult is it to integrate the positioning data from the RTK rover with the 3D scans captured by the mobile scanning app?

GPS devices output NMEA messages; there are a bunch of different types of these messages, some telling your Latitude, Longitude and Elevation, some telling which/how many satellites are in view, some telling your current level of precision. A GPS app like [SW Maps will parse these messages, extract the position data, then draw a dot showing that position. To design your own app, you would use a similar technique. Parsing the messages and extracting the lat/lon/elevation is not too difficult, the messages and syntax are fairly simple. I think the hard part would be how to integrate that data with whatever scanning data you are developing. Additionally, I think you would need some high accuracy Heading data from a magnetometer that tells you which direction your device is pointing in.

3) Would you know any 3D scanning mobile apps that are available and able to integrate the RTK positioning data?

I haven’t seen any.](https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=np.com.softwel.swmaps&hl=en_US&gl=US)](https://www.sparkfun.com/products/20000)](https://www.sparkfun.com/products/18442)

swells:
Hey samruru,

No worries, everyone is a newbie at some point! One thing I would suggest is that you build a list specific constraints:

How fast will this device travel? How good to you need the accuracy to be? How are you going to get RTK corrections to the device? Do you want to hook it into an existing system? Do you want something that works out of the box? Having a list like this will help you narrow down on which device to use.

We have a lot of content that can help you learn more about this subject, and maybe give you some ideas to get you started!

https://www.sparkfun.com/news/tags/rtk

1) What would be the best components to put together to be able to build an RTK rover that we can connect to a smartphone and use for 3D scanning?

This depends on what you mean by 3D scanning, and how much design and customization you want to do. RTK is most often used for surveying type work, to mark out a list of very accurate GPS coordinates. I’m guessing from your question that you want to build a surface map of some terrain, basically attach a GPS to an RC car, run it over an area and create a map? We have a line of “finished goods” type RTK products, which are already engineered and programmed and ready for use; this would be the fastest way to get up and running in grabbing GPS data. If you are interested in modifying how it works, integrating it electronically with other devices, etc, we also offer the breakout boards.

Here are all of our RTK products: https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/tags/rtk

An important thing to consider in selecting a device is how to get the RTK corrections to it. RTK for a mobile GPS receiver (called a “Rover” in GNSS parlance) requires giving the receiver constant corrections so it can get a precise fix on its location. For example, the [RTK Express would require either a Wifi connection to an NTRIP Caster, or for you to have an app on your phone that connects to an NTRIP Caster and sends the corrections to the device via Bluetooth. On the other hand, the [RTK Facet L-Band can receive corrections via satellite, so it doesn’t require internet access.

2) If we were to create our own 3D scanning app, how difficult is it to integrate the positioning data from the RTK rover with the 3D scans captured by the mobile scanning app?

GPS devices output NMEA messages; there are a bunch of different types of these messages, some telling your Latitude, Longitude and Elevation, some telling which/how many satellites are in view, some telling your current level of precision. A GPS app like [SW Maps will parse these messages, extract the position data, then draw a dot showing that position. To design your own app, you would use a similar technique. Parsing the messages and extracting the lat/lon/elevation is not too difficult, the messages and syntax are fairly simple. I think the hard part would be how to integrate that data with whatever scanning data you are developing. Additionally, I think you would need some high accuracy Heading data from a magnetometer that tells you which direction your device is pointing in.

3) Would you know any 3D scanning mobile apps that are available and able to integrate the RTK positioning data?

I haven’t seen any.
[/quote]

Hi swells, thanks for the reply here!

Basically, my company is wanting to start a 3D scan to augmented reality pipeline. We’d 3D scan a preconstruction site that is geolocated (using an RTK rover and smartphone app, ideally) then overlay our proposed equipment models on top of the 3D scan so that our crews can view the as-design equipment accurately on-site via AR on their smartphones. I hope I explained that clearly haha.

Easily enough, we can use a viDoc RTK rover and Pix4D software for this, however we’re looking at all the possible avenues here and wanted to know how feasible this would be for us to just create ourselves. Another end goal for us would be to be able to integrate this pipeline with our own already existing project management platform.

Some more info: we’re a project management and consulting firm for telecom so we do not have a ready team yet specifically to build this device and mobile app. We’re basically starting from the ground up. How long would you think this would take us to create and get it usable enough to offer as a service for clients?

Hope I gave you enough info for some more of your insights :sparkles:](https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=np.com.softwel.swmaps&hl=en_US&gl=US)](https://www.sparkfun.com/products/20000)](https://www.sparkfun.com/products/18442)

So this is a professional project! Excuse some of my earlier comments then; we see all different levels of skill/knowledge on the SparkFun forums. We try to assume that most people are in the early learning stage when they ask a question, don’t want anyone to feel overwhelmed with technical details and jargon.

> Basically, my company is wanting to start a 3D scan to augmented reality pipeline. We’d 3D scan a preconstruction site that is geolocated (using an RTK rover and smartphone app, ideally) then overlay our proposed equipment models on top of the 3D scan so that our crews can view the as-design equipment accurately on-site via AR on their smartphones. I hope I explained that clearly haha.

Ah that is a good use case. Would be really helpful for preplanning the equipment footprints and operating paths, and a great way to share a plan with a construction crew.

Doing large area photogrammetry scans using a smartphone is ambitious, especially when it is not aerial based; proportions often come out skewed. Most companies I’ve seen in this space will design their own equipment or purchase dedicated purpose-built hardware.

> Some more info: we’re a project management and consulting firm for telecom so we do not have a ready team yet specifically to build this device and mobile app. We’re basically starting from the ground up. How long would you think this would take us to create and get it usable enough to offer as a service for clients?

That is dependent on you and your engineering team, number of people, expertise in the area, mathematics background, etc. If you are looking for professional consultation, please DM me your email address and we can discuss further.

From a general project management perspective, I would say that the first step is to acquire all the pieces that you think you would need to solve the problem, in the simplest form possible. Get an RTK device (any of our “finished goods” style units would be a good starting point; the breakouts would be too much complexity), get some photogrammetry software, then start grabbing data. If you can figure out how to put them together, you are halfway to a solution. After that it’s a matter of turning your algorithm into an application.

[Neural Radiance Fields by Mapillary.

BTW, they don’t rely on precise geolocalization.

See also the second picture on the [use of RTK for caving.](https://www.sparkfun.com/caving_with_rtk)](We're launching photorealistic Neural Radiance Fields (NeRF) at Mapillary! - Web and notifications - Mapillary Community Forum)

Eric, thanks for posting that!

I’ve seen NeRFs as a concept floating around for a while but didn’t realize how far they’ve come. Very interested in seeing how well they play with large geometries. I’ve used photogrammetry on large areas, and unless you have a very good sensor+lens pair, the edges get “tucked” during the stitching. The edges can be off by well over a meter when scanning 100 meter area.

Some quick googling tells me with NeRFs this error can be as low as an inch or so, so really quite impressive.

“How long would you think this would take us to create and get it usable enough to offer as a service for clients?”

The quickest and cheapest way would be to use Pix4D with a proper camera, and apply coordinates to Ground Control Points (GCP) using RTK.

The professional workflow would look more like a Laser Scanner for the 3D point cloud and Revit (etc) to insert your proposed equipment into the Model. The BLK360 is a good entry level scanner (~$20k New, $10k Used, USD).

Both methods would benefit from RTK coordinates on targets for registration.