RS232 to TTL Serial varioptic lens

Hi,

I want to control an varioptic lens using an Controllino (arduino IDE compatible). The lens is using UART/RS232 protocol (with max 3.6V), product ID is C-C-39N0-250-R33 (sheet attached), while the Controllino has Serial TTL ports with 5V. Im using the PRT-00449 RS232 level shifter and powering it with 3V3 from the Controllino, while the varioptic lens is powered with 5V from the Controllino.

I am using Serial2.write() (for example sending Serial2.write({0x02, 0x38, 0x04, 0x01, 0x3F} as the example states in the documentation), and Serial2.read(), which works fine if I do a simple loopback with the Controllino (meaning connecting the RS-OUT directly to RS-IN in the DB-9 female on the RS232 level shifter).

When i attach the lens:

• I get no response

• TX-0 on Controllino/TTL side get 0V, light is constantly lighting Green

• RX-I has 5V (my connection means im sending from controllino TX to RS232 level shifter RX-1, and the RED light blinks which indicates that its getting sent to the device).

• Lens RX has 2.8V

• Lens TX has 3.3V

My connection is as follows:

(Controllino Physical Pin 13 - TX on X2 header) → (RX-1 level shifter) → (PIN2/RS-OUT level shifter) → (Lens RX)

(Controllino Physical Pin 12 - RX on X2 header) → (TX-0 level shifter) → (PIN3/RS-IN level shifter) → (Lens TX)

Changing the Controllino side TX → TX-0 level shifter and vice versa results the TX light on the RS232 level shifter to blink green, but the RX-I is not lightning at all. And loopback (no lens connected) does not work this way.

Lens side needs to be no higher than 3.6V and controllino side reads 3-5 as logic 1. I’ve tried to switch RX/TX on both sides with no luck.

Is my configuration possible with the RS232 TTL converter, or is the idea that the controlling unit should be on RS232 side?

Does the RS232 level shifter convert correctly to Serial TTL communication?

What am I doing wrong?

Br,

Niklas

documentation_Varioptic_teds_-170629-_caspian_c-39n0-250.pdf|attachment (815 KB)