Should I use Wi-Fi or BLE with dance costumes?

I’m trying to make 12 electronic dance costumes, that are supposed to be used on the same dance floor. Each one will have a compass sensor on it. I’d like for the data from 11 of the compass sensors to be sent wirelessly to one (the remaining one) of the dance costumes, where the data will be processed. Then, the processed data will be sent back wirelessly to “strip lights” on the 11 costumes. I’d like to prioritize

• - not having to worry as much about the wireless signals being obstructed,
  • - using as little hardware as possible (especially if it is large hardware),
  • - making it so I don’t have to use internet to send the data,
  • - being able to easily find an “example” sketch that (when compared to other examples) I only have to change a little, and
  • - making it easier and faster to set up at different places (where people will dance).
  • To make it wireless, should I use Wi-Fi or BLE?

Thank you.

I suggest to experiment with one or more examples of ESP32 or similar modules, which have both BLE and WiFi, in various realistic settings on stage, and determine if the range and reliability of data transmission are satisfactory.

The project simply cannot proceed along those lines, if that is not the case.

jremington:
    I suggest to experiment with one or more examples of ESP32 or similar modules

Thank you. How can I contrast those with the “Arduino Nano 33 IoT with headers” (at https://store-usa.arduino.cc/collection … edStore=us)?

One approach to contrasting them is to study and compare the relevant specifications.

A more reliable approach is to run side-by-side tests, in “real world settings” as I described earlier, and pick the module that performs best.

Keep in mind that none of them may actually perform well enough to be useful for your project.