SPX-18709: PoE to USB Power Supply - Help in finding Solution

Hello,

I have a Logitech F310 gamepad Joystick. This hardware connects to my PC via USB 2.0 connection.

The problem is that in my application, the PC is located 100 meters away from me (and thus from the joystick, too). Therefore I need to extend the serial connection to over 100 meters and still have good enough latency and strong enough signal.

I thought about using fiber optics to solve this problem. I have a media convertor that converts between RJ45 to Optic Fiber.

So in order for me to use this I need to find a way to convert the serial connection of the joystick into the IP connection (RJ45) of the media convertor.

So in summary, I am looking for device that is USB1.0/2.0/3.0 extender over Ethernet.

Throughout my searches I encountered your “PoE to USB Power Supply” product at the following link: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/18709.

It seems like something that can help me with my problem but I will really like to hear what do you think.

Also, I know that on the website it says “Not Available for Backorder” but maybe you can direct me to similar products that you offer. I will really appreciate your help.

Thank you,

AIEEG

Also, have a look at RS485, there are many USB / RS485 converters around.

Sparkfun doesn’t carry anything that does what you’re looking for. What you need is a USB extender that works over RJ45 cables. I’ve used devices like the one in the link below with success.

https://www.orei.com/products/usb-over- … th-2-ports

You may find devices that say they work over “Ethernet” but they really mean they work over a CAT5/CAT6/CAT7 cable. They do not work through a network switch or hub. Just get the highest quality “Ethernet” cable you can find and use that between the two devices. I usually use shielded CAT6 cable when I do these, the cable will have metal around the RJ45 connectors on each end of the cable. Don’t be cheap on the cable or you will run into trouble.

There do exist [USB extenders that work over a Ethernet network and I have used those as well, but they are not cheap. If you find a USB extender that’s less than $150 assume that it doesn’t work over a network and will only work with a single cable directly connected to the transmitter and receiver. These types of devices can extend USB miles away if needed but that’s overkill for what you’re needing.](USB-Over-IP | AnywhereUSB Plus | Connect USB Peripheral Devices Anywhere on a Local Area Network | Digi International)