Top pHAT DEV-16653 - Several issues

I have several issues with Top pHAT DEV-16653.

I have seen that some are seen in other thread at the forum.

I have followed the official introduction: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/sp … troduction

pHAT is connected to a Pi4 running latest versions.

uname -a
Linux pi4 5.10.17-v7l+ #1421 SMP Thu May 27 14:00:13 BST 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux

I see the following behavior

• Joystick and buttons are working as expected with examples provided.

• Leds, are working after Pi have been turned off for a while. If I leave the system running for about 30 minutes. Basic examples in introduction are not working anymore. Colors and leds turns a bit random. Even 0 on all fails from time to time.

• Audio. Is working. I can record and play wav-files using both examples. arecord and python versions.

• Display. I can get it running if I follow the guide line for kernel 5.4 and above. I have to execute con2fbmap 1 1 to get any output though. The problem I get when the display is working is that audio fails.

I can see that the driver is installed.

dkms status
    wm8960-soundcard, 1.0, 5.10.17-v7l+, armv7l: installed

arecord -l
    **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****

aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
    Subdevices: 4/4
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
    Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
    card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
    Subdevices: 4/4
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
    Subdevice #3: subdevice #3

• Have anybody experienced the same behavior?

To me it does not look like a errors on the board.

More related to that the guideline needs be updated due to upgrades in kernel and other dependencies.

To be honest, I don’t know a ton about the audio codec control. However, I remember testing the instructions when the Pi 4 came out and I only had issues with the display (why we updated that part of the instructions).

Do you think you could list out all your steps to the issue and where you encounter problems, so we might be able to replicate it? (*Note: Pics and screenshots help out a lot.)

Hello, I have exact same issue with Raspi4 and latest Buster OS (December 2021). I bought 10 boards and plan to finish a prototype quite soon. Could you provide maybe a working OS image. It’s really critical for me.