Touch Potentiometer power-only test mode: erratic behaviour

I can’t seem to be able to get the device to respond properly to my touches. I’ve got it wired up with Vin and GND to my arduino board 5V and GND, which itself is powered via USB.

The wiper position (visualized using the green LEDs) doesn’t track my finger reliably. Instead, it usually exhibits these odd behaviours:

• large oscillations (nearly half the total range) around my finger position, or in between my finger position and the bottom / top (depending on if I am in the upper half or lower half)

• slow responses

• no movement at all

• if my finger is in the center, the dot will be in the center, but as I move to the bottom or top, the green dot moves much quicker towards the extremity than my finger is actually moving. For example, if my finger is about three quarters towards the bottom, the dot is all the way at the bottom.

After powering off and on again, occasionally it will work correctly, but more often then not, I get the above issues.

I have 2 of these touch pots, and both show the same strange behaviour, so it seems unlikely to be a defect.

I have seen in the troubleshooting section of the manual that some of this could be caused by unstable power. Am I expected to add additional power regulation or filtering even if it is hooked up to Arduino? I tried this on my Ardiono Uno and my Arduino IoT, both have the same behaviour. I’ve also tried plugging the USB into a wall socket instead of the computer, and no change.

I’ve also tried the calibration routine (pressing the button 4 times quickly) and sometimes this has fixed the problem, but it comes back soon after. Usually though, the calibration does not pass (it does not show 4 lit LEDs when done) even though I am touching the correct regions.

Help!

Thanks for any insights or suggestions