AD8232 Unrealistic Values

Hello,

I am attempting to use SparkFun’s AD8232 ECG chip to find my heart rate. I am placing electrodes as instructed in the main tutorial, using electrode preparation cream, cleaning skin, etc. The processing GUI provided with the chip shows clear heart beats, however the BPM numbers given by the library are in the range of 168 to 240 BPM.

Thinking this was an error from the GUI’s formula, I saved some data to a CSV and processed it using HeartPy, a python library. However, similar high BPM results were produced. I have tried everything from Bandpass filtration to resampling, all to no avail.

Is there something wrong with the chip? Has anyone experienced this issue in the past? If so, how did you solve it?

If I can get some help in solving this problem, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ok, is the data of 168 to 240 BPM incorrect? How are you cross-checking it? Manually?

Manually and using an Apple Watch (which uses a PPG sensor to my knowledge), my BPM is in the range of 40-50. Regardless, I’m pretty sure such high resting heart rate is almost impossible.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug. :lol: