Can the Qwiic Shield for Arduino Nano be used with non-Qwiic Arduino sensors?

Hi there - I’m a newbie to Arduino design and Qwiic integration, so apologize for the simple question. For context, I’m looking to use a MAX30102 heart rate sensor and DS18B20 temperature sensor hooked up directly to an Arduino Nano, in addition to the Adafruit ADXL375 accelerometer connected via the Qwiic shield. The goal is to measure many health metrics at once in a small footprint.

Does the Qwiic shield occupy all of the Nano’s pins even if only one Qwiic port is occupied, or will I need Qwiic Adapters for my non-Qwiic sensors? I’d just need one digital pin, I2C connection, and 3.3V power for my HR and Temp. sensors.

You can use both the qwiic ports and the pins at the same time, as long as there aren’t address conflicts (the qwiic ports use an i2c bus, so if your other sensors are also i2c you might have to change their address…also make sure only one set of i2c pull ups are active on the entire i2c bus). Check out the hookup guide for the shield here https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/sp … okup-guide