Cannot connect JLink to Red-V Thing Plus

I’m unable to connect to my RED-V ThingPlus. JLink fails to find the device. When I plug the device in, only the following item shows up under lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 032: ID 15a2:0073 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. Kinetis Bootloader

And this is the output from sudo dmesg:

[14762.216571] usb 1-6: new full-speed USB device number 33 using xhci_hcd
[14762.366996] usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=15a2, idProduct=0073, bcdDevice= 0.02
[14762.367000] usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[14762.367001] usb 1-6: Product: Kinetis Bootloader
[14762.367003] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: Freescale Semiconductor Inc.
[14762.369293] hid-generic 0003:15A2:0073.001F: hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.00 Device [Freescale Semiconductor Inc. Kinetis Bootloader] on usb-0000:00:14.0-6/input0

Output from JLinkGDBServer -if JTAG -speed 4000 -device FE310 -nogui:

SEGGER J-Link GDB Server V7.84d Command Line Version

JLinkARM.dll V7.84d (DLL compiled Jan 25 2023 15:56:27)

Command line: -if JTAG -speed 4000 -device FE310 -nogui
-----GDB Server start settings-----
GDBInit file:                  none
GDB Server Listening port:     2331
SWO raw output listening port: 2332
Terminal I/O port:             2333
Accept remote connection:      yes
Generate logfile:              off
Verify download:               off
Init regs on start:            off
Silent mode:                   off
Single run mode:               off
Target connection timeout:     0 ms
------J-Link related settings------
J-Link Host interface:         USB
J-Link script:                 none
J-Link settings file:          none
------Target related settings------
Target device:                 FE310
Target device parameters:      none
Target interface:              JTAG
Target interface speed:        4000kHz
Target endian:                 little

Connecting to J-Link...
Connecting to J-Link failed. Connected correctly?
GDBServer will be closed...
Shutting down...
Could not connect to J-Link.
Please check power, connection and settings.

When plugging the usb cable in, the orange light flashes briefly, and I saw the blue LED light up once when attempting to replug the USB. Double-tapping the reset button does not change the behavior of this connection.

That board requires Freedom Studio software (windows) or a Zephyr RTOS build environment set up to program the board and interface with it.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/re … ment-guide

Try the Zephyr (or Freedom if you have a Windows machine around!) and see how that goes

I run into the same issue with zephyr. The Jlink software cannot find the device:

$ lsusb
.. snipped
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 15a2:0073 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. Kinetis Bootloader
.. snipped
$ west flash
-- west flash: rebuilding
ninja: no work to do.
-- west flash: using runner jlink
-- runners.jlink: JLink version: 6.46a
-- runners.jlink: Flashing file: /home/pfaria/projects/zephyrproject/zephyr/build/zephyr/zephyr.bin
FATAL ERROR: command exited with status 1: /opt/SEGGER/JLink_V646a/JLinkExe -if JTAG -speed 4000 -device FE310 -CommanderScript /tmp/tmpqmktmgzyjlink/runner.jlink -jtagconf -1,-1 -autoconnect 1

When I plug and unplug the device, the only entry in lsusb that changes is ID 15a2:0073 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. Kinetis Bootloader

I confirmed that I installed the JLink software from Segger (the link incorrectly takes you to the flasher tool, which seems to provide a much smaller set of udev rules and also didn’t help). I also uninstalled the latest version and installed the version described in the article, and it didn’t change the behavior. I’ve also rebooted my machine and reinstalled zephyr and still run into this issue. Any idea what could be missing? Is it possible I was given a board that’s missing the segger software?

TS-Russell, I would also try to use Freedom Studio, but it seems to require a corporate account to download (I couldn’t register with my personal gmail). I’m only doing this for personal exploration, so I’m not able to gain access.