Capacitive touch slider ( CAP1203)

Hello Sparkfun community,

I’m trying to use a CAP1203 capacitive touch slider with my Raspberry Pi 4B, but I’m encountering some issues. I was under the impression that these two should be compatible, but I’m not so sure now.

I’ve connected the CAP1203 to the Raspberry Pi as follows:

• VDD to 3.3V
  • GND to Ground
  • SDA to GPIO 2 (Pin 3)
  • SCL to GPIO 3 (Pin 5)

Despite these connections, my Raspberry Pi doesn’t seem to detect the sensor at any I2C address. I’ve run ‘i2cdetect -y 1’ to scan for devices, but the CAP1203 doesn’t show up.

Has anyone successfully used a CAP1203 with a Raspberry Pi? If so, could you share your setup or any troubleshooting steps?

I’d appreciate any insights on:

1. Confirming if the CAP1203 is indeed compatible with Raspberry Pi
  2. Potential reasons why the sensor isn’t being detected
  3. Additional steps I should take to diagnose the problem

Thank you in advance for your help!

1. Yes

2. Ensure i2c has been enabled
    Also note that you should be calling i2c1 or wire1 generally for those pins…use ‘i2cdetect -y 1’ to scan i2c1
    Ensure you have the necessary software installed. You may need to install the ‘python-smbus’ and ‘i2c-tools’ packages

3. You might need to disable the i2c pullups on the CAP1203 Capacitive Touch Slider (CAP1203) Hookup Guide - SparkFun Learn (scroll up 2 paragraphs; cut the traces between the i2c pads…you can always reverse by replacing the solder blob)
    If you have another i2c sensor around you could test it instead to help isolate variables