Changing I2C address in order to use two Pulse Oximeter and Heart Rate Sensor - MAX30101 & MAX32664

I bought two Pulse Oximeter and Heart Rate Sensors - MAX30101 & MAX32664 and I want to connect them both to one RedBoard Plus. They both work perfectly on their own.

I cut the I2C jumper trace in one of them thinking this would change the I2C address. But… after testing and verifying with a multimeter that the trace was broken, I realized they both are still at the same address.

Now I’m not sure if that jumper is in fact for changing the address or if it has a different functionality. If that is the case, can someone please explain what that jumper is for?

Do I need to get something like an I2C MUX to connect the two of them, or is there another way? Am I doing something wrong? I really thought the jumper was for changing the address. :grimacing:

The i2c jumper is for the pull-up resistors on the i2c bus…disable all but one set on any given i2c bus.

That sensor only has a hardcoded address, so yes you’d need a mux to use 2 one the same i2c pins

Also note the mux has a set of i2c PU resistors as well (again, leave one set active for any bus…usually I recommend leaving the mux’s active)