Clock or RF noise (?) WIG-20636 TSUNAMI SUPER WAV TRIGGER - 25 V

Hello all,

I have 2 Tsunami Super WAV trigger boards. I am running both in “Synced Set” mode. On on board, I’m using all the 16 mono outputs, the other I’m using only 14. 12 of the 14 total outputs are each connected to an amplifier (yes, 12 amplifiers), the remaining 2 go into a mixer which is connected to 2 powered speakers. I am using N.O. momentaries for playback functions, and each switch (play, stop, pause, resume) is connected to both boards. Everything plays in sync fine from both boards (they are simultaneously triggered, and they stay in sync with each other beautifully despite running on their own clocks), but when WAV files are playing, there is a pretty bad sounding noise. It sounds like digital clock noise or perhaps some kid of RF. This happens even if I have only 1 of the outputs connected to an amp. I am using a 12V power supply going into a buck converter like this set at 7V https://www.mpja.com/Adjustable-15-37V- … 30149+PS/ and it powers both boards. There is some noise when the WAV files aren’t playing, but the instant I press play, the noise gets quite prominent. Should each board have its own buck converter? I’m quite anxious to resolve this. Functionality wise, it works perfectly every time, but the noise makes it unusable. Thanks in advance!

You’re going to have to isolate the components to determine the source/cause of the noise. There’s a lot going on: multiple Tsunamis, amplifiers all over the place, questionable power supply, a diversity of grounds (digital, various audio amplifier stages, power supplies), likely cabling compromises.

I doubt that the power supply is the issue but it’s the easiest thing to eliminate and the second thing to try after rebooting everything.

Thank you for your response! I should reiterate that I have the issue just plugging 1 output into 1 amp. I suppose the next step is to disconnect the Tsunamis from each other and test one by itself, and perhaps try powering with by bench supply should that noe resolve the issue.

I have tried everything - running just one board, using my bench power supply, all just plugging one output to one amplifier AND plugging one output into a mixer. I even tried a simple RC LPF, which diminished the noise somewhat, but also filtered off the high end of the audio signal. These Tsunami boards are NOISY! I wish I’d discovered this before it was too late to return them. I spent almost $200 on them, and all the time and effort to design my project is for naught. Very disappointing.

If possible, please try powering a Tsunami (just one) using a 5V USB supply/charger and connect a pair of headphones directly to one stereo output pair. The easiest way would be to wire a 1/8" stereo jack to the output pins (L, R and GND). Don’t connect anything else. Either program the init file to automatically start a track on reset, or short out a trigger input to start a track. If there is no noise, as there should not be, start adding things back one at a time.

Thank you very much! I will try this and keep you posted :slight_smile: :

Here’s my conclusion, thanks to robertsonics :slight_smile: Running 2 Tsunami boards in parallel, it seems they do NOT like having their 5V USB supply/charger s connected together. As soon as you do this, you hear what sounds like digital clock noise to me. My assumption was that if I provided each with its own power supply (I thought by using a 12V DC adapter powering 2 buck converters, 1 per Tsunami), each would have its own power source and not have their +Vs connected. Not so fast…

The ONLY thing that seems to work is for each to run on its OWN 5V USB supply/charger. I’m getting no noise that way. powering 1 Tsunami via USB and connecting their +Vs together results in the same noise problem. I’m not sure why the 2 buck converter solution failed. Thoughts?

I’m very happy to have a solution, thanks again robertsonics.