Connecting ZED-F9P to BlueSMiRF (ESP32)

I am attempting to connect my ZED-F9P board to a BlueSMiRF (ESP32) to emulate GPS-RTK2 Hookup Guide (GPS-RTK2 Hookup Guide - SparkFun Learn). I’ve got everything soldered together and I’ve configured the ZED-F9P to output on UART2 at 115200 but it appears there is some kind of connection issue between the boards. I cannot get data out of the BlueSMiRFI via Bluetooth from the ZED-F9P. I can independently connect to the BlueSMiRF and I can see that the status light is blinking and receiving correction data from my Android tablet. I have hooked up via USB to the ZED-F9P and it works correctly. I have updated the ZED-F9P to the latest firmware. Are there any other configuration changes I need to make?

It sounds like you’re on the right track; share a photo of the setup/soldering
Hardware Hookup - SparkFun BlueSMiRF v2 Hookup Guide (we want the setup to match the diagram here)

You may also need to enable Bluetooth classic or SPP depending on the Android Example 2 - BlueSMiRF to Smartphone - SparkFun BlueSMiRF v2 Hookup Guide

Definitely not the worlds best soldering job but the contacts do seem nice and firm. I can only upload one image at a time. I’ll try to upload more after this post.
I think you may be onto something with the Bluetooth Classic. I’m trying to connect to a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019). I’ve tried connecting to the BlueSMiRF using the Serial Bluetooth Terminal app as suggested in the Example 2 - BlueSMiRF to Smartphone - SparkFun BlueSMiRF v2 Hookup Guide to send some AT commands but didn’t get anything back from the chip.

I’ve done some additional experimenting and found that I can connect to the ZED-F9P via Bluetooth from my laptop. I am able to view and edit settings on the F9P using the u-connect app over Bluetooth. The problem of getting the GPS data to output from the F9P via Bluetooth is still persisting.

I’m thinking those solder joint are the issue; go back and apply a blob of solder to all of the backside PTH holes/pins

Does the bluesmirf have its LEDs come on upon powering?

Figured it out. It was a port configuration issue. In the write up it shows UART2 protocol out as 5 - RTCM3 but when I switched it to 0+1+5 - UBX+NMEA+RTCM3, it started working.

1 Like