Data logging of CANbus output

Hi. I have a project I would like to pursue, but I am fairly new to the CAN side of things and just not sure how or what items I may need to get started. Please let me know if there is a more appropriate forum category for this to be in.

I would like to build a portable data logger to record CAN data output from an aftermarket motorcycle ECU. By portable, I mean able to temporarily mount on the bike and have it record data while it is being ridden, then download or retrieve that data for review afterwards, and then ultimately be able to make tuning adjustments from the information.

I have searched the forums and found some information, but nothing very specific, of course. It would appear I would need an Arduino board of some type (there are several different ones) and CAN-bus shield to interface with it. The output data of the ECU is not an OBDII standard, as in an automobile, but rather a custom set of data specific to it. As such, I would need to “sniff” the data and then determine exactly what the outputs are referencing (rpm, throttle position, eng temp, baro, etc.). The data would need to be recorded and stored, and then output in a .csv format for later review.

I’ve read through the tutorial on the CAN-bus shield, but am still unsure if it is possible to do what I want with an Arduino and the shield. As the ECU does not use a regular OBD port, it would just be a matte of connecting to the hi/lo can output wire, I assume.

Any insight, thoughts, or information for further reading would be appreciated. Thank you.

Everything you’ve said so far is accurate…you’ll have to find the H/L wires and begin to sniff using the correct baud rate too, then you should be able to pull the info as described…the main thing here is that it will take time (because it won’t be standardized)

If you get stuck you may find help in either motorcycle tuning/modding forums or in CANbus-related forums