GPS-RTK-SMA SMA Connector Male or Female?

Hi,

I recently received my SparkFun GPS-RTK-SMA Breakout (GPS-16481) and GNSS Multi-Band Magnetic Mount Antenna (GPS-15192).

When I went to connect the antenna to the board, I quickly realized I had a problem. Both the antenna and the breakout SMA connectors were male. (I’ve attached an image of the SMA connectors)

The male pin on the antenna matches the images shown on the product page for it.

I read through the product page of the breakout, through the schematic, and through the hookup guide. Curiously, I couldn’t find a conclusive answer to whether the SMA connector on the breakout was intended to be male or female. I even watched the YouTube video hoping to see a glance of the inside of the SMA connector.

While the antenna is included in the listed hookup accessories of the breakout, no special SMA adapters are.

The GPS-RTK2 Hookup Guide does mention that if an additional SMA connector is needed for PPS pin of the breakout, the female SMA connector (WRL-00593) is suggested.

With all this considered, my guess is that the SMA connector on the breakout was supposed to be female but somehow swapped for a male.

Is anyone able to verify whether the SMA connector of the GPS-RTK-SMA Breakout is female or male?

Thank you,

Dave

Hi Dave.

It looks like we accedentally put a RP-SMA connector on your board rather than a SMA connector.

Can you tell me the last 4 digits of your order / invoice number and the batch number that’s on the bag the GPS came in?

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Batch #: 134764

I ordered the parts through DigiKey since they are a little quicker on delivery here in Canada. Are the DigiKey order details of any use to you?

Thanks again,

Dave

Hi Dave.

Sorry about all this. I can’t do anything with a Digi-Key order but let them know you got a defective board and need to return it for a replacement and they should be able to hook you up.

Thanks for the batch information, I’ve recorded that data on the notes for that batch. So far nobody else has had the same issue and that batch is from October so it looks like a stray RP-SMA connector found it’s way into the SMA connector bin and you’re the lucky (well unlucky) person that got that on your board.

If Digi-Key gives you any trouble, just let them know you talked to us and they should be able to get you a replacement. :slight_smile: