Is this SAMD21 dead?

Following up on my prior posts.

SAMD21 #1 will not go into bootloader mode with the button press. It will upload code from the 2.2.1 IDE but disconnects from the USB-serial port and kills the device driver on my MacOSX Ventura. Replugging the USB port results in the SAMD executing the code that had just been uploaded. But uploading code again results in the disconnect.

SAMD21 #2 functions as expected: upload code and the SAMD runs that code and leaves the USB-serial port connected. Uploading another code results in that code running (and again leaving the port active). No USB replugging needed.

It seems that SAMD21 #1 is effectively non-functional for development purposes, but that’s a rather odd failure as it would seem to be software rather than electronic.

Is this something I can fix, or should I accept that I will need to use SAMD #1 just for production code?

After going through the posts, I would presume it to be dead :-/

Was it purchased from us? If so head over to www.sparkfun.com/returns (if purchased from us, contact vendor if purchased elsewhere) and we’ll get ya squared away

Yes, I purchased two directly from Sparkfun, and they were original engineering design (I think). One works, the other fails in that particular way. (Oddly, a friend who purchased one at the same time has just had the same odd behavior occur with that SAMD21 Pro RF but not with a second one he purchased later.)

I have two on their way, but it would be good to replace this one. I’ll go check returns.

Thanks!