Lithium Ion Controller for 2S 2P?

Hello! Does Sparkfun have a charge controller for a 2P 2S battery pack?

Jamie

Not right now, basically every charger we currently carry is geared toward single-cell lipos

I presume then it is not possible to charge multiple cell lithium ion battery packs? The largest battery I see reference to is 2ah 3.7 V Lithium Polymer and I’m looking to charge something closer to 20Wh. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you John

Sparkfun carries this, but it’s out of stock :frowning:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/16793

Thank you for the suggestion. I don’t know what I was thinking when I left that message I left out the fact that I I’m looking for an mppt solar charge controller like the Sunny buddy spark fun sells that can handle multi cell battery packs. I found your item on eBay but it is not intended for my needs unfortunately.

I am a newbie when it comes to electronics I’m more of a mechanic guy. This looks like it’s designed for charging batteries for RC cars Etc. Will this take a solar panel as long as the voltage and amperage is correct? Thanks for your help

I don’t believe SparkFun sells what you are after…specifically from the sunnybuddy page: “The output of the Sunny Buddy is intended to charge a single Polymer Lithium Ion cell. A 2-pin JST connector is populated, and will mate up to most of the LiPo batteries SparkFun sells.” just get an MPPT charger meant for whatever # cells you’re running online that is also rated for the packs’ C rating

Yes, it generally would accept solar input…but again, I would just get a controller that is meant for your specs

Thank you for the reply. My problem is most of the solar charge controllers available are either way more than I need and work at 12/24/48 volts, or small boards similar to The Sunny buddy but without an output Channel. What I’m looking to do is use a small solar panel to charge a 7.4 volt 2 cell 2.6ah 18650 lithium pack to run a tiny 200 Ma 5 volt water pump for a small fountain. I never thought it would be this complicated to find a charge controller. The sunny buddy is perfect except for it’s charge capacity is too low. If you have any suggestions lay them on me I will greatly appreciate it.

You could use 2 single-cell lipos/sunnybddy in parallel and then combine the setups into a series arrangement after the batteries that would work

You could probably also get away with a small solar battery pack that has DC output instead (the fold-out solar banks on amazon or similar)

Thank you for the ideas but I already considered the two lipo cell option. Or are you suggesting using two Sunny Buddies each with two one cell LiPO batteries? That would suit my needs but one Sunny buddy with two cells will not. Thank you for your help I sincerely appreciate it

A fountain pump isn’t really made better with the usual benefits of lithium batteries: light weight, high power density & delivery, flat discharge curve, geometry considerations, etc.

I don’t want to talk anyone out of interesting projects but are you sure lithium 2S2P is worth the trouble?