MAX98357A Hookup Guide code no longer works with ESP32 Thing Plus

The easiest way to describe this issue is to reference the hookup guide below:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/i2s-audio-breakout-hookup-guide

I have a Max98357A Breakout Board and a ESP32 Thing Plus linked below:

I had these two boards functioning together about a year ago in the form of a A2DP Bluetooth speaker. Set the project aside. Came back, yesterday, updated libraries (unsure what library versions I had before) and I can no longer output audio through the MAX98357A. I’m perplexed. I’ve not rewired anything, it’s the same board that was working before. Yet I double checked the wiring and seems correct.

Core libraries for Arduino I2S & ESP32 seem to be broken? I went back to the Arduino IDE and started going through the referenced MAX98357A hook up guide to find I cannot get those code examples to work either.

Has anybody used the MAX98357A breakout with a ESP32 Thing Plus board recently? How did you get it working? Thanks!

If you still have the original project code that worked a year ago, upload it without any changes. This can help confirm whether the issue is with the libraries or something else.

1 Like

Figured out how to get the hookup guide tutorial working…

I was pulling from library instead of manually adding ZIP files downloaded from hookup guide webpage. Once I manually added zips it all worked.

I also figured out my original speaker project. Similar problem, authors updated the library and documentation. However, I don’t know that they updated the example projects. I was able to get working from their documentation.