My TB6612FNG burn out 🔥

Hello,

I’m trying to make an RC car and unfortunately I burnt a TB6612FNG module ^^'. And I’d like to know a bit more about what happened. When I look at the docs I see that the GND is not really connected properly I do not know if that’s the problem or something else. I have another TB6612FNG module and this one works until it gets too hot, then it gradually slows down.

Thanks for the help!
Robin

What do you mean about the GND?

I’m not certain what motor that is but by the sound of things I believe it’s overdrawing the TB66…look its specs up online (V & A; W) or measure its voltage/current draw when running with a multimeter and determine if the TB66 is powerful enough for it (1.2A continuous)

You can try adding a heatsink and fan to help mitigate things if it is close…but if it is way off I’d recommend a larger driver

1 Like

Hey! Thanks for tour help!

For GND, I thought it was written in the documentation but I can’t find it. But you can see it in the diagram in the documentation you sent me. That the GND motor is connected to the GND battery and to the Arduino GND.

The motor is a 360 Brushless (AS-202RX-MD1), I’ve measured it (I’ve forgotten the voltage) but I get 5.33A at start-up, and it changes directly to 2.1A, so that’s not good. The thing is, I don’t really want to use the motor at maximum speed. Do you think the voltage could be a problem? The motor has voltage protection. There are little diodes on it. But I’m probably wrong. I’ll do the test tomorrow.

Thanks,
Robin

You need a motor driver with peak current rating higher than the startup/stall current, which for brushed DC motors is typically 5x to 10x the no load current.

Keep in mind that the peak current draw is about 2X the start/stall current, if the motor is rapidly reversed. It is a good idea to make sure that the motor is stopped before reversing directions.

2 Likes

Sorry, it’s a 380 brush motor, my fault… If I do a Parallel configuration, put a small heatsink, avoid rapid reversals and implement a soft start with the TB6612FNG, is that a good idea (because I’m only using one motor and not really at high speed)?

Thanks,
Robin

No. Buy a controller that can easily handle the peak motor current. The TB6612FNG absolute maximum is 3.2 A.

A true “soft start” can only be implemented using a current-limiting motor controller.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks TS-Russell and jremington for your help! I really appreciate :slight_smile:

Robin