OBD-II UART - Did I buy the right tool?

Hi, I’m working on a project that I’m about 80% of the way finished with. I’m replacing my stock radio with a custom built setup that will play music, control my exhaust system (more on that*), and display some live stats. The car is a 2007 Z06 Corvette. It’s running on a pi3b+ with a 7" touchscreen and the QWIIC quad relay to control the Bose factory amplifier** and exhaust. The GUI is 90% finished with the audio and exhaust control portion 100% operational and stats that I’d like to see statically coded. I’m trying to work with the OBDII board and I’m not quite sure if I should have bought the regular CAN shield instead. The site below says that my car uses CAN 500kbps 11bit. Does it sound like I can get the TPMS sensor information from the car? Does the board support the lower speed SWCAN protocol if I need to poke around there instead? I’d also try to get my steering wheel controls to work for the radio. I can share more information if anyone is interested.

https://pinoutguide.com/CarElectronics/ … nout.shtml

*It comes with the dual-mode exhaust that has valves that open and close depending on the speed of the engine and throttle position. Right now I have the fuse removed on the system so that the valves are always opened

**The amplifier is turned on and off the same way an aftermarket one would be, through a 12v signal from a head unit. When the pi powers up and turns on the sound, it makes a popping noise through the speaker output. I use the relay to keep the amp off until after the sound driver/service is loaded.

Just my 2 cents on the topic…

Since you are already using a Raspberry Pi, I would suggest looking at an open source, Bluetooth ODB-II. Yes its a little more pricey, but how much is your time worth?

a) There will most likey be an API… easier to code than looking at confusing tables/schematics.

b) It will most likely have a built-in shutdown feature, most hardwired ODB-II scanners connect to the “always on” 12V line.

c) You can use your phone. If you are like me… most of your troubleshooting (when you really need it) happens in the engine bay or under the chassis. What’s the point of having the ODB-II connected if you can only see it in the driver’s seat.