Port monitor error: command 'open' failed: Serial port busy. Could not connect to COM8 serial port

Ok I keep getting the error in the subject line. On my UNO R4 Minima, and on my RedBoard Turbo.

Double clicking the reset button, unplugging the USB cable, restarting Windows, nothing seems to work.

What is the proper solution to this problem?

Thanks

Johnny

Try swapping with a known-good cable and switching the USB port being used…most of the time it’s the cable (esp if more than 1 device isn’t working)

Is it (the turbo board) appearing as a USB drive when you plug it in? https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/re … nd-drivers

Ok, just working with the UNO R4 Minima and ICM-20948 [on SPI] for this experiment.

I switched from the Anker USB-C cable to my Boss headphone USB-C cable and connected directly to the port on the computer. [I would expect both of those cables to be high quality although I don’t know if the e-marker chip in the cable is messing with the connection].

I can select the R4 and COM6 port.

I can load and run Example1_Basics.ino, and Example2_Advanced.ino no problem. Data appears in the serial monitor.

When I try to load Example6_DMP_Quat9_Orientation.ino I get the same errors:

Determining device status…
Failed to retrieve language identifiers
Failed to retrieve language identifiers
error get_status: LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT
Failed uploading: uploading error: exist status 74

and a Windows popup message appears:

Port monitor error: command ‘open’ failed: Serial port busy. Could not connect to COM6 serial port.

Is it possible my computer is faulty? It seems like I can upload 2 or 3 sketches and then it stops working.

What is the best way to reset after this crash? Unplug the R4 and reboot the computer seems excessive.

Thanks

Johnny