Problem with "new" DEV-13743 Shifting uSD

HI,

I’ve used the shifting uSD in the same project well over 100 times. It looks like it’s been updated recently - the card holder itself is different. The components and PCB itself do not appear to be any different between the versions but in the “new” version, the uSD card seems to stick in a way it shouldn’t when ejecting it.

It doesn’t seem to be a 1:1 replacement with the old version, or at least doesn’t seem to work as such. When placing it on a PCB with an arduino, it causes the arduino to reset indefinitely, where this same project has worked without problem with the old version up to now. Really, the only difference is the card holder, nothing else in the project has changed.

???

The problem seems to be that the CD pin is dead.

I’ve powered all the “new” versions and don’t get any signal (nothing at all, not even a flicker) when I pop a uSD in/out.

For all the “old” versions I still have, the signal shows as it should under the same circumstances.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I also have this disk device. Mine also does not cause the card detect to work correctly. It always reads 0 on the card detect pin (I used 9) on the Arduino.

I am running on a Mega 2560, using 5V to the breakout.

Is there a fix for this?

I too have been using DEV-13743 shifting microSD for five or more years. Bought close to 100 boards from 2015 thru 03/23/2019. All worked flawlessly on an Arduino mega2560. No failures.

Just bought another lot of 25pcs (11/10/2022 DEV-13743 batch 148670) and low and behold the CD pin is not working. Card in or out, CD is low

Card removal in the socket is also a bit sketchy. Old socket the microSD popped in and out nicely with a gentle push. Not so much with the new socket.

SparkFun, are you listening here? I also sent an email to tech support because I just dropped $125 on 25 new boards and so far they look to be nonfunctional.