Question regarding the 915M30S and amature radio technitian license

Hello! I have ordered a 915M30S and would like to begin experimenting with it and potentially trying to connect to the meshtastic network. a friend of mine has mentioned i may need an Amateur Radio Technician License as the frequency it operates at, 915 MHz, lies within the range of frequencies granted by said license. Does anyone on here know more about this?

My understanding is: You need a license in certain countries, but for 900-928mhz (915) in the US anything up to 1W does not require a license…anything above does

The term is ISM band/ISM radio and you see them pop up a lot: 433MHz, 900, 2.4G, 5.4G. End users don’t need licenses to operate the devices (which themselves are licensed/FCC type accepted, see laser etching) as intended within these bands. This is how ma and pa can use manufactured products like automotive key fobs, bluetooth audio & wifi. But you and I can also design our own or hack existing stuff, to an extent, generally without much fear of legal issues from radio emissions.

However, I’d like to advocate for getting your amateur radio license anyway. It’s useful, cheap, lasts for 10 years, likely easy for someone like you, and opens the workbench to a huge range of new projects.

-Brow /Amateur Extra

1 Like