Reference Station I2C issue

I recently purchased an RTK reference station and had updated the firmware to v4.1, and had set up the system to test logging data to an SD card. After repowering the unit, the display did not turn on, and when connecting via serial there seems to be an issue with the I2C bus.

The output from Tera Term is:
mode:DIO, clock div:1
load:0x3fff0030,len:1240
load:0x40078000,len:13012
load:0x40080400,len:3648
entry 0x400805f8
Error: I2C Bus Not Responding
Display not detected
LittleFS Started
ZED-F9P firmware: HPG 1.32
SparkFun RTK Reference Station v4.1
Profile ‘Profile1’ loaded
GNSS configuration complete

The GNSS connection still seems to work but the display and I2C bus do not seem to work after resetting the device via the power button and reflashing the firmware.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if maybe your qwiic cable to the display has come loose - front side disassembly is very straightforward for that unit
Open it up and see if the display cable is fully seated on both sides (like in the photo)

Thank you for the link and help. I took the front panel off and inspected the display connections but they both were securely fit. Reconnecting the front ESP32 config port to the computer I was able to get the device to turn on with the display, but only briefly. When powered up it seemed to scroll through the mode options as if getting an input from the user button.

From Tera Term the messages seem to be outputting some symbols incorrectly as shown in the image attached. This goes away after resetting but I am struggling to get the device to log for more than a few hours without it shutting down unexpectedly.

Hmmmm

How are you powering the device? If possible, try powering with the included USB wall wart (or better! it’s a 5v 1a version)

Double check all of the baud settings/msg types (maybe it’s overrunning the buffer? Perhaps try a slower rate and see if it stays online longer)

I too am scratching my head. Sorry for the hassle and that we don’t have a better answer for you. If the better power supply gives no improvement then I recommend starting an RMA. We’ll get it fixed or replaced.

I was previouslly running the station via the back USB-C power on a spare 5V charger as I’m in the UK so the included plug adapter isn’t suitable. I’ve now swapped over to another 5V 1A USB-A adapter with the included cable - the unit now seem’s to perform much better. It has been running continuously across the weekend and succesfully logging data to the SD card.

Thanks for the comments to help sort things out.

1 Like