SARA-510M8S ATD fails: Operation Not Supported, UDP packet fails: unkown error

At first I was having an issue that my Teensy 4.1 crashes with the R5 library examples, if we enable debugging this is the output:

init: Begin module init.
sendCommandWithResponse: Command: E0
init: Module failed echo test.
init: Begin module init.
init: Attempting autobaud connection to module.
sendCommandWithResponse: Command: +IPR=115200
sendCommandWithResponse: Command: 

This isn’t really the issue I’m trying to address though. I’m instead having issues communicating over the modem - I cannot text, access the internet, or place calls. Here are some AT commands I’ve sent, with the outputs from them, and some annotations for easier readability:

AT+CEER

+CEER: "EMM cause",0,"No cause information available"

OK
AT+CREG?

+CREG: 0,6

OK
AT+CGMR   (gets the firmware version)

OK
AT+CFUN=1

OK
AT+CEREG?

+CEREG: 0,1

OK
AT+CGDCONT?

+CGDCONT: 0,"IP","phone","0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
nc410.mcc310.gprs","10.93.97.42",0,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0   (it appears that some data was dropped on the serial bus here)

OK
AT+CPIN?

+CPIN: READY    (SIM card is inserted, working normally, and not pin locked)

OK
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","phone"

ERROR
AT+CMEE=2    (verbose errors)

OK
AT+CGACT=1,1

OK
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","phone"  

+CME ERROR: operation not allowed
AT+CGPADDR=1

+CGPADDR: 1,"10.93.97.42"

OK
AT+CIPSTART="UDP","8.8.8.8","12345"

+CME ERROR: unknown
AT+CIPSEND

+CME ERROR: unknown
ATD+1234567890;

+CME ERROR: operation not supported
AT+CMGS="<redacted>"

+CMS ERROR: operation not supported

As you can see, I am getting error messages with many of the things I’m doing - text, call, trying to send UDP packets, even setting the APN. However, from commands I’ve issued, it does seem like its talking with AT&T’s network. So, I’m not sure what the deal is. I’m in a city so coverage is not an issue. I’ve really never had this many issues initializing a modem like this, SIM900 was a breeze back when I used that. Any ideas here?

I would guess there is an issue with the SIM and AT&T not liking it (per previous posts); maybe grab a go phone sim for T-mobile and give that a try

Hi @Nuclear_Man_D ,

You need to configure the SARA for Packet Switched Data before you can start to communicate. There are a few steps to that.

Have a look at this guide; scroll down to the section titled “AT Terminal”:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/micromod-update-tool-hookup-guide/software-setup

To manually Ping a server (such as www.sparkfun.com) the truncated set of commands is:

• AT+UPSD=0,100,1
    • This instructs the SARA to map the Context ID 1 profile into Profile ID 0.
  • AT+UPSD=0,0,2
    • This instructs the SARA to use the “IPv4v6 with IPv4 preferred” protocol for Profile ID 0 (this needs to match the operator’s protocol).
  • AT+UPSDA=0,3
    • This instructs the SARA to activate Profile ID 0.
  • AT+UPING=“www.sparkfun.com
    • This instructs the SARA to ping the SparkFun server

This example shows how we do it in our Arduino Library. The AT commands are ‘hidden’ behind the library function calls.

Just FYI, the LARA-R6 is much easier to use… The SARA needs a little coaxing before you can start sending data.

I hope this helps,
Paul

Thank you both for your replies. I will check this later today or on Friday and let you know how it goes :slight_smile: I tested with my roomate’s T-Mobile SIM card, and I got more or less the same results, so I think it is with the SARA configuration.