SD card sniffer - not locking into slot due to design oversight?

I’m using this SD sniffer https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11468 to, well, sniff SD card traffic. The issue is that many devices’ SD card slot use the same push-push slot that’s on this sniffer, and that means in order to lock the card in place, there needs to be a cutout to activate the spring mechanism in the card slot.

Standard SD cards have 2 cutouts on both sides, with one side being the write protect toggle. I believe that’s what the card slot is utilizing to lock the card. The sniffer doesn’t have that, so whatever device I plug that into, will not be able to lock the card in place if it’s using the same push-push slot. Unable to lock = unable to sniff.

Is this a design oversight or what? I get that you(sparkfun or whoever designed this, as it seems sparkfun didn’t design this themselves) may need to account for write-protect presented to host device, but it’d be nice if something is done to accommodate the push-push type of SD card slot.

Sounds like it’s a bad SD card slot. You may proceed for replacement if the warranty is still valid.