Simultanious RFID Reader not reading correct User Data in continuous read mode.

Hello, I’m having a problem getting my reader to pull the correct user data. I’m using example 1, and example 4. With example 4, it works correctly and produces the correct hex “30 30 32 39” (0029), but when I use example 1 it instead produces “00 00 01 29”. I can’t figure out why it is doing this. The code behind pulling the user data is the same in example 1 and example 4 as far as I can tell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I haven’t changed either example other than reducing the bytes from 64 to 4 (and even at 64 got the same issue), and adjusting the read dBm.

My setup is:

• M6E Nano Simultaneous RFID Reader SEN-14066

• SparkFun RedBoard DEV-13975

• UHF RFID Antenna WRL-14131

• UHF RFID Tag WRL-14147

Setup is on additional wall power, with the read dBm set to 20dBm.

with startReading() (example1) it will only read the EPC and some meta-data from the reader. With readUserData() (example4) it will only read the complete userbank.

Having worked with this RFID reader for longer time I have created additional examples and features. Look at https://github.com/paulvha/ThingMagic/t … ib_special and try example16.

Oh, that’s odd. What’s the purpose of this code then (this is from Example1)? Is there a way to get it working? I’ve even tried getting rid of everything except the //Print User Data portion, and it still only produces 00 00 01 29.

//Print User Data
      Serial.print(F("Size ["));
      Serial.print(myDataLength);
      Serial.print(F("] User data["));
      for (byte x = 0 ; x < myDataLength ; x++)
      {
        if (myData[x] < 0x10) Serial.print(F("0"));
        Serial.print(myData[x], HEX);
        Serial.print(F(" "));
      }
      Serial.println(F("]"));

From the else if statement below:

byte responseType = nano.parseResponse(); //Break response into tag ID, RSSI, frequency, and timestamp
    byte myData[4];
    byte myDataLength = sizeof(myData); //Tell readUserData to read up to 64 bytes

if (responseType == RESPONSE_IS_KEEPALIVE)
    {
      Serial.println(F("Scanning"));
    }
else if (responseType == RESPONSE_IS_TAGFOUND)
    {
      //If we have a full record we can pull out the fun bits
      int rssi = nano.getTagRSSI(); //Get the RSSI for this tag read

long freq = nano.getTagFreq(); //Get the frequency this tag was detected at

long timeStamp = nano.getTagTimestamp(); //Get the time this was read, (ms) since last keep-alive message

byte tagEPCBytes = nano.getTagEPCBytes(); //Get the number of bytes of EPC from response

Serial.print(F(" rssi["));
      Serial.print(rssi);
      Serial.print(F("]"));

Serial.print(F(" freq["));
      Serial.print(freq);
      Serial.print(F("]"));

Serial.print(F(" time["));
      Serial.print(timeStamp);
      Serial.print(F("]"));

//Print User Data
      Serial.print(F("Size ["));
      Serial.print(myDataLength);
      Serial.print(F("] User data["));
      for (byte x = 0 ; x < myDataLength ; x++)
      {
        if (myData[x] < 0x10) Serial.print(F("0"));
        Serial.print(myData[x], HEX);
        Serial.print(F(" "));
      }
      Serial.println(F("]"));

//Print EPC bytes, this is a subsection of bytes from the response/msg array
      Serial.print(F(" epc["));
      for (byte x = 0 ; x < tagEPCBytes ; x++)
      {
        if (nano.msg[31 + x] < 0x10) Serial.print(F("0")); //Pretty print
        Serial.print(nano.msg[31 + x], HEX);
        Serial.print(F(" "));
      }
      Serial.print(F("]"));

Serial.println();
    }

paulvha:
with startReading() (example1) it will only read the EPC and some meta-data from the reader. With readUserData() (example4) it will only read the complete userbank.

Having worked with this RFID reader for longer time I have created additional examples and features. Look at https://github.com/paulvha/ThingMagic/t … ib_special and try example16.

I checked out the library and didn’t really see anything that worked for this. All I’m trying to do is run the constant read for user data. I can’t figure out what arduino wants to do this. I can get it to give me only user data, but the user data it returns in junk. Like I mentioned, I have no idea why it’s doing this as the code for the user data is the same as in example 4, which pulls the correct user data. I’m not sure what I’m missing here, I don’t see anything in the code that should be messing with myData.

Output of Example 4:

15:23:15.915 -> Initializing...
15:23:15.949 -> Press a key to read user data
15:23:18.974 -> Size [4] User data[30 30 32 39 ]

Output of Example 1 with all but userData commented out (data is the same even when left untouched):

15:28:27.943 -> Press a key to begin scanning for tags.
15:28:31.876 -> Scanning
15:28:32.688 -> Size [4] User data[00 00 01 22 ]

Thanks for the help!

You get rubbish as the user data is NOT read from the tag in example1, only the EPC.

Follow the link from my previous post. Remove the current Sparkfun library and install mine. It is an extended version of the SParkfun library with many more examples and features. Use example16.

regards,

Paul

Thanks, Never got user data to work, even with example 16, but I just switched to using EPC since at least that works.