SparkFun Simultaneous RFID Reader - M6E Nano not working well...

Hi! My M6E Nano Module seems to stop working well. When I got it, it worked fine for a couple of weeks but after some time it stopped working properly, I’ve checked all the connections and it’s all in good condition. I’ve noticed that my M6E Nano only works at 9600 baudrate between M6E Nano and Arduino Uno, even then the M6E Nano often display the “Module failed to respond. Please check wiring.” when using the library. And the only way to make it work is to reset the Arduino a couple of times until it does. Can someone guide me on how to troubleshoot this problem?

If you do a search on this forum you will find many articles around this topic. The issue is around cack of power supply.

Hi! thanks for the solution, tried other power supply options (Li-Po Battery, and trying on another Laptop ((weird solution))).

Now we face another problem about the long wire (2-3 feet) that we are using to connect the SRTR to Arduino Uno. We had to use long wires to connect SRTR to Arduino Uno for some reasons. The issue is the serial monitor always show the message “Module Failed to respond…”. Tried other power supply options but to no avail. Unfortunately, we don’t have oscilloscope to monitor signals coming in and going out of each component.

We tried using shorter wires (less than 1 foot) and it works fine, I also considered rewiring the device recreating the long wires but still it doesn’t work.

I have connected a scope and the issue is clearly (again) around the power supply. I used example1, I only have about 3 feet (30 cm) between an Mega 2560 and the Nano. Up to the moment it asks for pressing enter, the 4.8V stable on the Nano. As soon as it starts continued read it drops to 4V and has spikes up to 4.5V. Just extending the power wire with 20cm, the starting voltage start at 4.2 and drops after to 3.5V for a short period. Long enough to make the Nano get unstable. Once unstable… you have to reboot as it stays unstable.

The best way forward is to connect GND, TX and RX but NOT connect the VCC from UNO to the Nano. Now connect to the Nano “battery” connection a 5V power supply. Best to have a strong power supply that can handle “burst” load. A LIPO battery could do for shorter moment, because it will not be charged with on-board logic and is only 3.7V.

Alternative 1 : use “thick” wires and make a good connection, but even then…

Alternative 2 : reduce the reading power ( e.g. 250)… not sure this is an option