Sparkfun Wifi Shield and M6E nano UHF RFID

Hi, I’m working on a project that uses both the wifi shield and the RFID M6E Nano shield. The idea of the project is to read RFID cards and send the information to a server. I kinda used two example codes from RFID and the Wi-Fi shield library to combine/create my code. The issue I’m running into is that when I try to initiate both cards together they won’t read any tags or connect to the server. If I run them separately they will work. I’ve double check and triple check the code, the only thing I’m leaning towards is the compatibility of the cards. Or not enough power to run all 3 things. I could be wrong if anyone can help or if you have run into this issue. I have attached the code and picture of how I have them hooked up. Note I’ve also soldered the jumper on the RFID card and attached an antenna thinking the frequency of the RFID and the WIFI could be causing some interference but got the same result.

Both shields use D9, that could be part of your troubles. There may also be conflicts between the libraries for both shields.

Thank you for your response. I ended up switch the spark fun read board uno for an Arduino UNO WIFI Rv2 that has built-in wifi. It has worked flawlessly. Now the issue I’m running into is that after a while the Program stops working correctly and when I try to restart my serial port again it keeps giving me the “Module failed to respond. Please check the wiring.” and to fix it I have to unplug it and plug it back in. and it will run for about 20-30 min and the program will brake again and I have to unplug it and plug it back in. I’m thinking it might be a heat issue where the RFID module may be overheating. any suggestions?

When the module becomes to warm it will indeed stop working, but it takes more time to cool down then plug out / plug in again. The M6Nano is very sensative to enough power else it will get unresponsive. I have done different projects and extended the Sparkfun library with some extra functionalities. Among that is the abilility to read the temperature while reading tags so you can check whether or not that is your issue. check for the latest (in zip file) on https://github.com/paulvha/ThingMagic/t … ib_special.

Thank you for this. I will add this to my project to measure if it drops/stops working once it reaches a certain temperature. But normally as soon as it says check wire I can unplug it and plug it back in and it will work fine for a long time again. so not sure if is a temp thing, Or something else.

Also, I was reading on the hookup guide about heatsink and it says that “At full read power over extended periods of time the module can reach temperatures greater than 85C (185F)” which is nowhere near how it feels when I touch it. it deff is less than 90F