SparkFun Simultaneous RFID Reader - M6E Nano - Range issue

Hi,

I am having range issues with the M6E Nano RFID reader. The reader is not able to detect the tags even from 2cm away. The tags are only detected if placed directly over the onboard antenna. I have tested this with external power source also and there is no change in the range of the reader.

OS USED - Windows with Universal Reader Assistant and Ubuntu 18 with Mercury API python

POWER - External 5v power supply

Please let me know how i can improve the range of the reader

Thanks

What tags are you using?

Are the mounted to anything conductive or are you holding them in your fingers?

Have you turned up the power level in the software?

TS-Chris:
What tags are you using?

Are the mounted to anything conductive or are you holding them in your fingers?

Have you turned up the power level in the software?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I am using this (https://www.amazon.com/ISO18000-6C-Monz … 16&sr=8-14) RFID tags. I have tested these TAGS by holding them near the reader or directly placing it over the onboard antenna.

As TS-Chris asked : Have you turned up the power level in the software?.

paulvha:
As TS-Chris asked : Have you turned up the power level in the software?.

Yes, I did. It’s still the same.

With my reader I have to put the tags nearly on the antenna, but I am only using 500 reading power. The on-board antenna is small and has it limitations. Another aspect is that the frequency band used for RFID is unlicensed and use by many other devices (e.g. Z-wave, wireless burglar systems, some remote controller). If you have those in your surrounding it can impact. What you can try :

• URA and then set the reading power to 1500.

• URA select another region in the world. Each region has it’s own unlicensed frequencies. For test (but NOT for production !) select another. Maybe another devices is using the same frequency in your area

• URA to check and to update Nano M6E firmware to 1.9.22 (https://www.jadaktech.com/resources/rfi … e=firmware). Maybe that brings some improvements (new region and frequency setting were made available)

• Python/ API: create a hopping-table for your area. As such the application will “hop” from one frequency (within the 868 -900 band) to another.

• Check whether you have other devices that use the frequency. Maybe try to test on a different place in-house.

Of course it can still be the TAGs. The MonzaR6 that is only tag is a a good chip, but all is depending on the antenna sensitivity. You can also consider an external antenna on the Nano so higher power setting is having a better effect.