Swarm M138 brakeout board

Is anyone else having issues sending messages to the Swarm Cloud dashboard? I have mine plugged in for a few days not and it’s not transmitting, RSSI is at -113. I am using USB C from my laptop with the python program provided. It states that I have messages waiting to transmit but nothing is being pushed out. Any ideas? :geek:

Hi codepanda,

Some things to check:

Does the antenna have a good view of the sky? It needs to be able to ‘see’ the satellites as they pass over.

Are you using the antenna ground plane?

If you enable the $RT messages, do you see the extra messages containing SNR and FDEV as each satellite passes?

It can sometimes take a few hours for the messages to be sent, depending on your location and the timing of the satellite orbits.

Best wishes,

Paul

HI Paul thank you for getting back to me. Yeah I am using a ground plane. I think my issue is that I am not leaving it plugged in long enough to send. I will hook it to my laptop go outside then after an hour I will put it all away. I am working on a housing to get it outside and online. I also wanted to ask you about this “If you enable the $RT messages, do you see the extra messages containing SNR and FDEV as each satellite passes?” like in the python program or via terminal or Arduino ?

Hi,

I get an error avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout when uploading the example sketch (Example1_getConfigurationSettings). The Swarm_M138GUI works fine. What should be the settings for Board, Processor, and Programmer? I am using Arduino Mega, and AT Mega2560, and USBasp respectively. Turned off Norton360.

Thanks.

swarmuser

@codepanda:

Can you extend your antenna cable so the antenna and ground plane are outside - and the modem is inside? I have my antenna connected via 15m of RG58 coax cable and it still works well.

On the Python Gui, press the “Receive Test 1Hz” button to enable the $RT messages. Most display the background signal strength (RSSI) but you will get extra messages when a satellite passes overhead. These contain the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and Frequency Deviation (FDEV - Doppler Shift) of the satellite signal. If you can see those then you know your antenna cable is OK (ruling out a broken cable or poor connection).

@swarmuser:

Please be careful. The AT Mega 2560 will be a 5V board. The modem requires 3.3V Tx and Rx signals. You may damage the modem if you connect it directly to a 5V board. You need to use a level-shifter:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/sa … akout-pins

The board will be: Arduino AVR \ Mega 2560.

Best wishes,

Paul

PaulZC,

Today at 3pm I got a sweet hot message from my device to the swarm cloud. I was not leaving it on long enough. Thank you for the help. :ugeek:

@codepanda:

No problem! The pass checker will give you an idea of when the next satellite pass will take place - and/or the best times of day to transmit:

https://kube.tools.swarm.space/pass-checker/

The “deadbands” will decrease as the Swarm constellation increases.

Hi

I am trying to use my modem to get some message to hive but so far no luck tried all possible things.

I have a doubt i am trying to get it to work from India. It is possible to get it work in india ?

Hello @pallavi,

India was not on the list of supported countries a few months ago:

“The current list of approved countries / regions for the M138 Modem is: Antarctica, Australia, Austria, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, UK, US, and International Waters (12 nautical miles offshore).”

I will ask Swarm for an update.

Best wishes,

Paul

Thanks for quick response.

Yes please update me for same

Hello @pallavi,

We have an updated list of supported countries from Swarm:

USA

Antarctica

Australia

Austria

Brazil

Canada

Colombia

Denmark

Georgia

Germany

Greenland

Iceland

Ireland

New Zealand

Netherlands

Spain

Sweden

United Kingdom

International Waters (12 nautical miles offshore)

We do not know if/when India will be supported.

If you would like to return your M138 board, please enter your details here:

https://www.sparkfun.com/returns

Very best wishes - and apologies for the inconvenience,

Paul