TMP117 Temp Sensor Failures

I ordered four TMP117 temp sensors (15413) and have connected them to a QWIIC hat on a Raspi 4. Two were DOA and on has since failed (It’s been a week). A friend ordered three, with one DOA. I have tried them daisy chained, single connected, each of the QWIIC hat ports, and connecting “left” and “right” side of the boards. One always works, one used to work, and two never worked. These are the only I2C devices on the PI. Each has a different address.

I had high hopes to implement an all-QWIIC system, and this is the only QWIIC temp-only sensor. I can use the TMP-102 with a QWIIC adapter, but would really like to simplify as much as possible. Is anybody else having problems with the TMP117.

*When I say they work, they show up with ‘i2cdetect -y 1’.

Hi Mark,

These are SparkX boards so I’m not positive how they are testing them but it definitely sounds like you have a few duds since others are working fine (at least showing up running i2cdetect). I assume you have tried using the same Qwiic cables for the fully-functional ones on the malfunctioning boards, right? If not, give that a shot. Next, just to make sure there are no weird hardware issues going on with them, can you please take a few photos of your boards and the circuit you have them in and attach them to your reply? Most likely, the boards are defective and we would be happy to help you out here but we just need to confirm a few things first.