Trouble finding certain tech specs for the SparkFun Pro nRF52840 Mini

Hi there,

I’m having trouble finding max input voltage and max input current for the GPIO pins on the SparkFun Pro nRF52840 Mini. The datasheet supplied by sparkfun doesn’t mention these items.

Can anyone share their thought process on finding these pieces of information? Is reading the datasheets for the nrf52840 a logical next step?

UPDATE:

I looked at the nrf52840 datasheet because I figured the sparkfun board is mainly functioning as a breakout board for the nrf52840.

I’ve found that the max voltage rating for I/O pins is 3.9V…however, I still haven’t found any mention of the maximum current an I/O pin can take!

TL;DR:

1. What is the maximum current an I/O pin can take on the SparkFun Pro nRF52840 Mini?

2. What is considered a logical 1? Is a voltage of ~3.9V read as a 1?

Looking at https://infocenter.nordicsemi.com/pdf/n … S_v1.0.pdf section 6.9.3.1 GPIO Electrical Specification:

Vih (Voltage, input high = minimum voltage for a logic 1) = 0.7*Vdd. For Vdd = 3.3V, that would be 2.31V

Vil (Voltage, input low = maximum voltage for a logic 0) = 0.3*Vdd. For Vdd = 3.3V, that would be 0.99V

For standard drive, an output can source or sink 1mA min, 2mA typical

For high drive, an output can source or sink 6 mA min, ~10mA typical depending on Vdd

so the outputs are rather wimpy; you may need to add transistors or buffers to drive higher-current loads.

/mike