Using WM8960 as an analog to I2S ADC without ESP32?

I’ve been trying to configure the WM8960 so that it will take in audio from Line 1, and generate an I2S data stream output on its I2S output pins. I’m able to sucessfully configure the chip to listen from line 1 and output to the speaker outputs, so i know that the communications with it are fine, and that the analog audio signal are going through the chip properly.

The example code provided shows how to connect the WM8960 as an ADC for an ESP32, but I want to do it standalone…

I tried starting with “Example_03_INPUT1.ino” and it does work for headphone output, but when I import the calls (enableLoopback, all of the clock configurations, and enableMasterMode) they seem to not turn on the I2S digital output… I’ve also tried disableLoopback, and enablePeripheralMode, just in case, with no success.

Looking through the datasheet, it should be possible to configure it this way, but I can’t get either provided I2S script to run without an ESP32 (I have an Arduino Leonardo to use for this project).

Is there something I’m missing?

Confirm whether the WM8960 is in master mode or slave mode and configure accordingly.

I’ve tried master mode as well, the chip is still not outputting any signals on the I2S lines. It should be outputting the bit clock, LR clock, and data. Nothing on any of the pins is happening.