Xbee Series 3 Range

Hello,

This is a cross post: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=621581.0

I recently set up two Xbee S3 antennas, one connected to the USB explorer which is plugged into my computer (the receiver) and the other is attached to a MEGA2560 via the Sparkfun Xbee Shield, the MEGA is powered by a 12V adapter. The communicate just fine within 50-100 ft of each other, one inside my lab and the other outside my lab, but once it gets to 150 ft, they no longer communicate. The antennas are supposed to work over 4000 ft, so I cannot imagine why they cannot communicate over this distance, but perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I am not sure what information I need to provide to help solve the problem, but since it works fine within short range, I have to assume it is not a script issue, nor an issue with how I configured the antennas, but perhaps I am wrong.

Let me know if you have any ideas or what information you need to help me solve this issue.

Thank you!

Hi CodenameAter,

The transmit/receive range on the XBee3 is going to be limited by quite a few factors. Indoors, the range is up to 200ft so there may be something in your lab that is causing interference and reducing the range. In order to troubleshoot further, which specific XBee3 radios are you using and what settings are you using in XCTU when configuring the XBee’s?

As for the 4000ft range, that is outdoors with a direct Line of Sight between the radios. Any obstruction between the radios will reduce that range.