50ch. DMX control (+power) to pixel tape?

Hi SparkFun tribe! I’m Michael, an indie musician who’s seven-months-new to lighting but constantly inspired to push forward. I have an idea that I’d love some expert guidance in actualizing. I emailed SparkFun this afternoon but thought I would post here as well in the interest of being a good citizen.

I currently use 200 channels of my Chauvet D-Fi Hub to control four Chauvet Freedom Sticks, each of which is in 50ch. mode. This allows me to separately pixel-map each of the four sticks to create some unique visual experiences. ([Here’s a demo of the kind of stuff I do, in case you’re curious.)

I want to take the next step and mirror what I’m sending to each of those four sticks to four musical instruments on stage, respectively. My current signal chain is: Ableton Live → Showsync Beam → ENTTEC DMX Pro USB → Chauvet D-Fi Hub

I’d like to mount pixel light tape on my guitar. I was thinking of using this: https://www.btf-lighting.com/collection … 0502126818

…under the assumption it can receive 50ch. DMX info, properly converted, so that it can precisely mirror the behavior of one of my Freedom Sticks (each of which has 16 pixels) in 50ch. mode.

I could mount an ESP32 or other SparkFun device onto the pedalboard at my feet, then connect it to the lights on my guitar whenever I perform.

So, my specific questions:

1) Am I correct that, correctly powered and with the correct signal sent to it, the WS2815 should be able to behave exactly like one of my Freedom Sticks?

2) Provided I use a D-Fi->DMX receiver to connect to my SparkFun gear, can the ESP32 send that 50ch. DMX info to the WS2815?

3) If so, how, and is there a special cable that will let me mount the ESP32 on pedalboard (near my feet) and then connect it to the guitar-mounted WS2815 whenever I’m performing, disconnecting it when I’m done?

4) If not, is there a different SparkFun device I can use to accomplish the same goal?

5) I suppose I’ll need to power the WS2815 as well, and I see no reason the power supply can’t live right next to the SparkFun device on my pedalboard. If so, what device(s) can I use for this? Is there–perchance–a SparkFun device that can both power AND control the WS2815, eliminating my need for two separate devices?

Sincerely,

Michael](DH Beam demo.mp4 - Google Drive)

Something I should append to this question: I can use my Chauvet D-Fi hub to transmit DMX wirelessly to a small XLR receiver dongle, so obviously if there were a low-profile way to mount an XLR->LED controller AND battery-operated power source to the guitar, that could potentially be even better than mounting the controller and power source to the pedalboard and wiring them to the guitar each time I play. But I’m not aware of controllers and/or battery-operated power sources that fit that bill.

Obviously things like [what this fella has done are amazing, but aren’t the solution to my specific goal (at least not yet) because of the specific use cases for our guitars and show tech.](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCFKy4J_xGY)