Chip pin # 8 - VCC

As per Sparkfun electronics attiny85 Arduino Quick reference sheet,

you can use pin 0 to 4 for general purpose I/O pins

0 = Chip pin # 5

1 = Chip pin # 6

2 = Chip pin # 7

3 = Chip pin # 2

4 = Chip pin # 3

my question is this one, is it possible using the Attiny85 AVR Programmer to have access to chip pin # 1,

and if so how do you access-it

I try the following

pinmode(5,output)

and try to write a value in that port of high or low,

the software upload without any problem, but the chip dye, and nothing happens annymore

Am I using the proper syntax ?

Otherwise what is required in order for me to use this pin # 1 of the Attiny85

I need 1 extra output, could be digital or analog.

Otherwise it seems like I might have to use attiny84 instead.

Thanks

In order to use pin PB5, which is the reset pin, you need to program it with specific fuse settings. And because you cannot reset it anymore you need a special high voltage programmer. The ICSP method of programming won’t work. And the regular arduino bootloader neither, for sure. Here is a tutorial/guide that explains more about it:

http://projectsfromtech.blogspot.nl/201 … y8545.html

p.s. maybe there is a clever way to reduce your pin usage and free one up for another use.

Valen:
In order to use pin PB5, which is the reset pin, you need to program it with specific fuse settings. And because you cannot reset it anymore you need a special high voltage programmer. The ICSP method of programming won’t work. And the regular arduino bootloader neither, for sure. Here is a tutorial/guide that explains more about it:

http://projectsfromtech.blogspot.nl/201 … y8545.html

p.s. maybe there is a clever way to reduce your pin usage and free one up for another use.

Thank you for the best link :slight_smile: