How to mount to PCB?

Heyoo, I am trying to mount COM-09426 aka the PSP 1000 joystick onto the PCB. The metal bracket that keeps it from falling apart raises the connector pads making it very hard to SMD mount. Anybody had any luck. I am trying to make this a component in a product of 10k+ units, but right now this component is making my life difficult. I’ve had success in mounting without the bracket, but the joystic fell apart.

Consider adding a custom spacer or shim between the PCB and the metal bracket. The spacer can be made of a non-conductive material like plastic or a thin PCB material.

Can you cut a recess in the board that the metal bracket would fit in? That would let the pads fit flush to the board.

1 Like

What about using wire to the joystick and mounting it using the tabs/spacer or something (if having it raised off the board isn’t an issue)?

Also, maybe you can get rid of that metal clip if you glue the pieces together first (though a comment on the product page makes me think the rubber can get hot during soldering if you don’t disassemble them before soldering the PCB)…so see if you can:

1. Disassemble
  2. solder
  3. glue

in a way that makes it fit your needs